Sunday, December 14, 2014

It's the most BUSY time of the year ...

It certainly has been a busy (ahem ... crazy) last 9 days ... 

... the mayhem started last Friday, 12/5 when Barrel Racer (BR) was picked up a little before 2:00pm to head over to The Champion's Center for December's Winter Rodeo.    She was asked by a family who are friends/members of our 4H club to work/warm up a horse for them.  Their youngest daughter couldn't be there until later Saturday morning as she is on a varsity basketball team and had a Friday night game, plus a very early practice on Saturday morning.  So off BR went with my friend to help load a horse, make sure the horse trailer was loaded with all needed tack and then these ladies, in their bling hats, were finally on the road heading to the rodeo. BR rode horses Friday late afternoon, early evening, and she had the chance to hang out with other friends that we don't usually see unless it is fair.  Also, our friend's other daughter was up from college on her horse and BR also hung and rode with her!  BR spent the night (in a horse trailer - LOL!) and  was shocked to discover that they all were in bed by 8:00.  I'm told the reason though is they were up at 4:00 the next morning!   You have to get started early for rodeo!  BR was excited to tell us that she did get to go through a few barrels & poles on the horse, but she basically was just warming him up for our friends.  I have a few seconds of video that was sent to me and I will try posting that (my first time ever posting a video on a blog.  I never accomplished this feat on wordpress!!).  In the video BR is warming up two horses at once (just with a walk)- for both friend's daughters!  LOL - 2 at once!  You'll see a young lady come zooming through on her palomino, Biscuit.  This is another friend from our club and BR hung out with her and our adviser in their horse trailer for a bit also.  She had such a blast!  I so hope I can post the video .  Here goes ...




This experience was important as BR will be riding the horse and participating in rodeo for January and February.  There are basketball games during these months that will keep our friend's daughter from being able to be there early enough for some events, so they are giving BR this opportunity.  Hunter-Jumper will also participate on her horse, Fi.

On Saturday morning, Farmer was up early and out the door to pickup the younger daughter from her basketball practice at the local high school.  He whisked her off to the Champion's Center so that she could get ready to contest for the day.  He then came zooming back home with BR so that she could shower, have her hair put up and curled, nails polished, and fancied up for her and Hunter-Jumper's (HJ) Christmas piano recital in the afternoon.  HJ and I stayed behind to get ourselves ready so that I could help BR get ready when she arrived.  We had a fun time at the recital.  I believe all of the students are homeschooled and there are a lot of German Baptist friends in this group.  Sadly, we only see some of these families once a year and it is during the recital.  All of the students played really well - just a fantastic group of students and families.  I love the warmth I feel with these folks! 

 Here is a pic of the students who were able to make it: 


Barrel Racer is in the back row, 4th from the left, or I guess 2nd from the right!  Hunter-Jumper is in the midlle (2nd) row, 5th from the left or 2nd from the right!  LOL!  HJ is in red and front-right of BR.


I'm not sure if I can attach the videos of our girls playing as they're pretty long.  I truly do not know if I have a limit on blogger.  I'll try and we'll see what happens ...

 (well I can't ... blogger tells me the file size is too large.  I expected so.  Barrel Racer played Crown Him with Many Crowns and Hark! the Herald Angels Sing, and Hunter-Jumper played Sweet Hour of Prayer and Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!  The versions of the Christmas songs were complex and lovely.  I wish I could have posted them.  For family and friends, email me if you're interested and we'll try sharing that way.  Worse case scenario, and the route I may have to go with g'parents, is to burn it onto a disc).


 The week of December 7th continued the busy pace in our homeschool.  Last year we took most of December off, but this year we are trying to get a little more worked into our curriculum, plus last year I noticed we didn't do anything extra as I'd planned.  Instead it felt like the girls had too much time on their hands and I am a firm believer in keeping busy for the most part - keeps ya out of trouble!  This week was our last one of a full schedule ... we wrapped up a lot of subjects that we won't come back to until January.  We ended the week with a trip to Christmas Town at the Creation Museum.  What fun we had seeing  the live Nativity ...



lights ...




a camel ride ...

(so funny ... they're used to jumping almost 4' high and contesting at speeds that are dangerous on their horses, yet here they are being lead around on a camel.  I think seeing and touching the camel was interesting, but this ride ending up being a let-down)


and ending with a petting zoo ...

(why is it that we live on a farm and yet they still get excited over petting zoos?!)


This trip was so enjoyable and informative, and overall just a delight for our family that I am thinking of posting a series about it.  Most of you know I do not blog consistently, so please lift me up in prayer that I can do this as well as get everything finished for Christmas in our home!  Speaking of Christmas in our home, Thursday evening we decorated our tree!!  It was such great fun doing this, reliving the significance of certain ornaments, and discussing Christmas's past.  Also, it simply is a relief to have this completed!
 
Yesterday, Saturday afternoon, we attended a surprise b-day party for g'pa J (my mother's husband) at their church.  He was picked up by firemen to really go put out a fire ... at the church.  It was a huge bonfire.  The bonfire and allowing him to put it out (dressed in full gear, mind you, as he was led to believe he truly was en route to take care of a real fire) was planned, what wasn't planned was the police showing up!  Hahahaaa!!  Leave it to this group to somehow have the police get involved  in their shenanigans!  G'pa turns 60 today (Sunday)!  

 ~ '' * ~ * Happy B-day, G'pa J!! * ~ * '' ~


Just before lunch today, Farmer and the girls put out some of our Christmas village and I must say it truly is beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!  It's been busy, yet worth every bit of the effort.  I am just so tickled to have created these memories for the 2014 season!

The week ahead has us doing Bible (this is daily no matter what), latin, some grammar, and they have a 5 paragraph creative writing assignment due on Wednesday.  Friday we're doing a small study of Pissarro and Renoir for art and then we are finished with school until January 5th!

Each month I print off a calendar for the girls that has their lesson plans broken down daily via each subject.  I also include anything extra, ie, horse riding & lessons, piano practice & lessons, farrier or vet appointments, and field trips.  I leave a section for notes and for the month of December, this is what I typed into the note section:

Remember the true meaning of Christmas: It is not about what the world portrays – gifts, food, lights, nor a fictitious character known as santa claus.  Christmas is the birth of redemption, and the truest gift of all – one life to be sacrificed for many, when the many did not deserve such a gift.  This gift is selfless and exemplifies the purest form of love.  This gift is still giving today, year-round, and is free to all who will humbly accept it.  On Christmas Day take time to reflect on what Jesus Christ has done for you.  Merry Christmas, (BR) and (HJ) – thank you for a wonderful 2014!  I love you both very much!    ~ Mama 

Here is one more pic to leave you with.  I chose a purple font as it is Hunter-Jumper's favorite color.  I'm sitting in the classroom typing this update when I hear one of my children calling "mama!"  I look up, and looking back in at me through a door into our classroom is this:

HJ and Fi (pronounced fee) ~ You gotta love it!


Thank you for taking the time to visit with me.  I hope you leave here feeling blessed and focused on the true meaning of the Christmas season.  I especially hope you come back!

In Him~


Homesteader Sandi

2 comments:

  1. Wow, yes, my head was spinnninnnnggg! reading through this post! But you are creating wonderful memories for the girls... as long as you can stay focused (like you said on the true meaning of Christmas). Hope you are able to slow down a tad... :) Hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see posts from you, M! In some ways we are slowing down, but in others still running ... thankfully our running will create some precious memories (makes me think of the posts on your blog). ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete