Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Simple Woman's Daybook 12-23-14

For today ... Tuesday, December 23, 2014


Outside my window ...  it is gray and very wet.  Supposedly the Midwest is to get some huge storm that will bless us with Christmas snow.   Though I'll believe it when I see it, I sure hope it happens because if I hear one more time, "It just doesn't feel like Christmas.  We need snow!" I think my head may spin.  The temps aren't helping either - it feels like spring.  I think I hear robins outside now (LOL).

I am thankful ... that Farmer is able to provide us with a roof over our heads, a warm farmhouse, food, and clothing.  We may be having a lean Christmas, but we are having one and the fact is, every single basic need is met, and then some.

I am thinking ...  how my approach has been very different for Christmas this year.  It feels like I haven't had the time to get everything done as I have in years past and when I start to stress a little over it, I hear a voice telling me that our traditions are nice, but the real reason for Christmas is and should be very different.  We aren't do many of the things we've done before, we aren't even getting together with others on the scale we have during other Christmas's, and though it is different, it isn't bad.  I'm trying to reconcile all of this.

I am creating ...  a heart that desires to obey and follow Him in all I do.

I am wearing ... fleece pjs with hearts and a purple sweatshirt.  Basically, I am a total eyesore!

I am going ... to finish organizing the dining-room, do a little baking, get with the girls to wrap dad's gift, and check on a kitten.

I am wondering ... what happened overnight.  We have a kitty who is terrified of the outside.  She got up her courage to check/hang out in the garage last evening, going so far even to use the doggie-door to the big outdoors.  She is friends with our big cats, so we wondered if she was learning the ropes and how to stalk at night, etc.  This morning Farmer found her up against the door to come inside from the garage, with a puncture wound, and she was shaking.  I checked her over and then took her upstairs to Barrel Racer's bed where both are now fast asleep.  Farmer and I feel terrible.

I am reading ... KJ Bible - Job (study with my daughters) and First Impressions, A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen - Charlie Lovett.  I consider myself a bibliophile and I enjoy Jane Austen, so I keep giving this book another chance, yet I'm having a difficult time getting past the first few chapters.  I believe it being the time of year, trying to sell a horse, wrapping up our school year and getting lesson plans going through spring 2015 is putting a damper on my being able to relax and get lost in this book.  *sigh*

I am hoping  praying ... for our country.  No doubt about it, spiritual warfare is at an all-time high. 

I am looking forward to ...  Christmas morning/day!  Our family hangs out with and enjoys each other's company all day long, while in our pajamas.  I look forward to Farmer reading the Christmas story, the birth of our Saviour, as he does each year.  For reasons I can not reveal yet, I just know the reading will be more special this year.  

I am learning ... to parent with grace.  I never realized how difficult this would be.  I am a firm believer in consistent rules and discipline, but I also need to make sure our girls know that we love them  no matter what, just the same.  Finding that balance can be challenging and I'm thankful and hopeful that He is growing me in this important area of life.

Around our home ... some laundry will get done today, a little bit of baking, and this evening I have small grocery shopping to do.

In the kitchen ... there are some magic bars left from baking yesterday.  I need to make more, along with cookies.   

I am pondering ... the size of a garden to plant in the spring.  Last year I went big and it was overwhelming.  And it was a flop.   

A favorite quote for today ...  "We do not need to get good laws to restrain bad people. We need to get good people to restrain us from bad laws.”   G.K. Chesterton

Scripture ...  Job28:28 - And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding. 

One of my favorite things ... to be gathered with Farmer and the girls, each of us warm under soft blankets, all cuddled up and lost in our reading.  Our Christmas tree glows under the soft white lights and a few packages underneath tempt our girls; there is a secure warmth coming from the pellet stove while the reflection of the flames paint a rosy hue around our living room.  Now and then one of us gently reaches out for our glasses of milk to compliment whatever baked good we have nibbled on while getting lost in the written words between the pages of our books.  This is a favorite pastime of mine!

A few plans for this week ... hmm, I am not sure.  Seems like there is something important for Wednesday, and especially Thursday ... :)

I pray each reader here has a Merry Christmas and Blessed 2015!

A picture to share (and some truth) ...  There once was a king who had a very strong reputation for enforcing the law in his kingdom.  He never compromised for anyone.  If someone broke the law a penalty was always required.

Then one day this king sat upon his throne hearing case after case, when suddenly a very shocking thing happened.  A young man was brought in for judgment.  He had been caught red-handed in theft.  The whole kingdom stood in silence to hear the king's judgment.  You see, this was no ordinary case: the young man was the king's son! 
Being as broken hearted as he was, the king knew that he still must give judgment.  Justice must be done.  One hand would have to severed.  Then suddenly the king surprised everyone by ordering HIS OWN HAND to be cut off.  He chose to pay the penalty himself!

This is precisely what God did for you and me.  Notice these important words from Isaiah 53:5-6:
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed . All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

Just as the king suffered and fulfilled the law for his son, God came to this earth and fulfilled the law for us.  Jesus Christ was God manifested in the flesh (I Tim. 3:16), and He came to FULFILL the law (Mt. 5:17)!  The law demanded a payment for sin.  Either man could spend eternity in Hell, paying for his sins, or God could make the payment Himself.  God, because of His love for lost man, chose to make the necessary payment Himself.  He gave His only begotten Son as a payment for our sins:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree." Galatians 3:13.

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." II Corinthians 5:21.

All men are born under "the law of sin and death" (Rom. 8:2).  We are under a curse.  But the Lord Jesus Christ came to our rescue by dying and paying for our sins.  Hebrews 10:14 says, "For by one offering he hath perfected forever them that are sanctified."  It took only one offering to pay for our sins.  Now that the payment has been made, all men can be "perfected" through Jesus Christ!  Through Christ we can be set FREE from the law of sin and death!  Through Christ, and Him alone, we can escape the curse!  Through Christ, we can be saved!

After Jesus pays for the sins of the world and returns to Heaven, a very special Gospel (Good News) message is preached by the Apostles and early Christians:
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Acts 16:31.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth, the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9.

As lost and doomed sinners, we must take God at His word and believe that Jesus Christ is our only hope for Salvation.  We must trust that His payment for our sins is sufficient.  We must STOP trying to "do good" that we might go to Heaven.  Our good works cannot save us, as the above verses reveal.  Only the good work of the Lord Jesus can save us.  We are hopeless without Him.  As a criminal sits upon death row awaiting the electric chair, we sit upon the death row of eternity awaiting Hell Fire.  Please, this Christmas, won't you accept His free gift of salvation if you haven't already done so?  This is the best gift of your life, for eternity.  ~Sandi 



Thank you so much for visiting with me today and reading my daybook.  I hope you leave my blog feeling encouraged, warm and cozy, and motivated to post a daybook for yourself!  If you'd like to read more daybooks and/or start your own, you can do so by visiting The Simple Woman's Blog!

Also, this will be my last post for this week.  I may or may not post next week, it depends on the activity level around our home!  I typed this above, but would like to say it again:  Merry Christmas everyone - I pray that we all have a blessed 2015!

Please visit again!  
In Him~
Homesteader Sandi


2 comments:

  1. Sandi, I always enjoy my visit to your home! I do feel at home when I visit here. In know I will read "TRUTH" here. I too am still learning Grace where my kids are concerned. I don't want them to confuse my grace with being a push over and they "get away" with what they did wrong... :( Ah well, maybe I will learn that that's ok too. Great quote by the way! :)
    I am leaving work early today to run to the store and get home to do some baking. Haven't done any yet this year!
    Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!!!!!!!
    {{hugs}} and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I officially wish we were neighbours!! I can't possibly comment on everything I want to as this would be longer than your post! First of all your poor kitty! Do you think she got in a fight with something? I hope she will be okay. Christmas feels weird this year, not weird in a bad way, but different. I have been rushed, and you know, people just seem, tired I guess. We all need Jesus, and He is being excluded more and more each day. It is sad. How is it going with the horse sale?? I hope you and your family have a wonderful, Merry Christmas. I am thankful indeed that our blogs have crossed paths, lol! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete